
Sitting in the middle of a 30 acre pecan orchard at 566 Scarboro Highway is the home of the late Marion Franklin Freeman, Sr. and Effie Lee Freeman. Marion’s father, John Wesley Freeman, was the original owner of the Freeman Family Farm. He purchased 400 acres of land in Screven County on September 12, 1893 for $1957.41 – only $4.89 per acre. He farmed the land until January 24, 1903, when he handed it over to his sons, Charlton and Marion.
Soon after their marriage on April 22, 1906, Marion and Effie moved into the house where they raised their family of 3 girls and 3 boys: Lula Mae, Bridie, Grace, Wesley, Lee Parker and Marion Franklin (M.F.), Jr. One of the largest farmers in the area, Marion employed about 15 men and their families, all of which lived on the place. He owned 25 mules and grew cotton, tobacco, corn, peanuts, pea vine hay, velvet beans and oats. In 1924, he planted 30 acres of the farm in pecan trees. Marion operated a cotton gin, commissary and sold ice from the ice house. There was a windmill, a generator house for making electricity, and a smoke house where meat was cured for the family and farm laborers. At the time of his death, Marion owned approximately 2000 acres of land, much of which is still owned by Freeman decendents.
When M. F., Jr. was 17 years old, he joined the Navy to serve his country during WWII. After returning home following the war, he worked with his father on the farm and continued what Mr. Marion had begun; however, he farmed the land with tractors instead of mules. His first tractor was an “H” model Farmall, which is still on the farm today. In the early 1960’s the windmill, no longer in use, was sold to W. W. “Shorty” Wyant. He used the tower to build gates on his farm, but saved the windmill, which is back on the farm today.
Soon after their marriage on April 22, 1906, Marion and Effie moved into the house where they raised their family of 3 girls and 3 boys: Lula Mae, Bridie, Grace, Wesley, Lee Parker and Marion Franklin (M.F.), Jr. One of the largest farmers in the area, Marion employed about 15 men and their families, all of which lived on the place. He owned 25 mules and grew cotton, tobacco, corn, peanuts, pea vine hay, velvet beans and oats. In 1924, he planted 30 acres of the farm in pecan trees. Marion operated a cotton gin, commissary and sold ice from the ice house. There was a windmill, a generator house for making electricity, and a smoke house where meat was cured for the family and farm laborers. At the time of his death, Marion owned approximately 2000 acres of land, much of which is still owned by Freeman decendents.
When M. F., Jr. was 17 years old, he joined the Navy to serve his country during WWII. After returning home following the war, he worked with his father on the farm and continued what Mr. Marion had begun; however, he farmed the land with tractors instead of mules. His first tractor was an “H” model Farmall, which is still on the farm today. In the early 1960’s the windmill, no longer in use, was sold to W. W. “Shorty” Wyant. He used the tower to build gates on his farm, but saved the windmill, which is back on the farm today.